Surfing in Morocco isn’t just a great experience in the water, but also an experience of a different culture and new flavors on shore. Besides couscous, Morocco is famous for its delicious tagines. Tagines are stews with a lot of spices and herbs. Ingredients can be chicken, lamb, beef, fish, fruits, peas, carrot, pumpkin and lots more. After my Moroccan surf adventure, not only did I long back to the great waves, but also to the wonderful flavored dinners. To give you some comfort if you too, crave the Moroccan flavors, the recipe below for a Moroccan fruity chicken tagine, is one that is quite easy to make and will bring you right back to the great time spend in the Moroccan waves.
Moroccan Fruity Chicken Tagine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes (organic, if available)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ can chickpeas
- 1 cup raisins (sultana or golden)
- ¾ cup dried apricot or mango (bite sized pieces)
- 6 pieces of chicken (thighs, breasts, your choice) rinsed and patted dry
- ½ butternut squash, cut into 1.5 ” pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1.5″ pieces
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- handful of slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Heat oil in large pan and sauté onion, ginger and garlic; about 3 minutes
- Add turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and cilantro, cook for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas and chicken stock, stirring well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and apricot/mango after turning off heat.
- Spray a large casserole dish with oil and place chicken inside. Top with carrots and butternut squash.
- Pour tomato mixture over top and cover with lid or tin foil.
- Bake for 1 hour or until chicken reaches 165 F.
- Garnish with almonds and fresh cilantro.
- Pomegranate seeds would make a nice topping, too.
(Recipe source: http://simplyfreshdinners.com/)